Weekly Tip - Strawberries Top 5 benefits
Did you know strawberries are not actually berries and they are technically a multiple fruit (each seed on the outside is actually a fruit). They are part of the rose family and get their name from the straw that surrounds the plant to protect it from pests while it grows. ( A little general knowledge for you!)
- Strawberries are a good source of folate - so an excellent addition to your diet before and during pregnancy.
- Low in calories and sugar than most other fruit, but high in nutrients the perfect on the go snack for the whole family including those with diabetes.
- Strawberries are high in fibre which keeps our digestive system functioning optimally and our gut bacteria happy. The fibre content can additionally help regulate blood sugar levels.
- Strawberries contain high levels of antioxidants which protect the cells in our body from oxidative stress and inflammation. This is important as it can lead many different illnesses.
- The high level of antioxidants found in strawberries may help decrease the growth of cancer cells.