Raw Cacao benefits
Raw cacao (not to be confused with cocoa) is one of my favourite superfoods to add to my smoothies - not only does it give them a delicious chocolate taste - but the health benefits that come with it are very impressive! Its made by cold pressing the cacao beans ensuring no nutrients are lost in the process. Below are a few benefits…
- Raw cacao contains anandamide, also know as the bliss molecule. When we eat or drink foods containing it, the anandamide binds to the receptors in our brain responsible for feelings of bliss and happiness. Which in turn boost our mood.
- Raw cacao is full of antioxidants (nearly 40 times more antioxidants than blueberries) which protect our cells from oxidative stress and premature ageing!
- Raw cacao may help lower blood pressure. The flavanols found in it enhance nitric oxide in the blood which can improve the function of our blood vessels by relaxing and dilating them, which in turn lowers blood pressure.
- Raw cacao is one of the best plant sources of iron. But remember with it being a plant based source of iron it is not as easily absorbed.
- Raw cacao contains more calcium than cows milk!